Both from the MSC certification and from the exception to the landing obligation, there are requirements for improving the monitoring of bycatch in the shrimp fishery. The ‘International Research Cooperation (IRC) Shrimp’ project meets the requirements of the MSC certification and allows the sampling from the discard program to be validated. Within the project, several research trips are carried out each year. During such a trip, a WMR researcher will come on board to analyze a sample of the catch. If fishermen would like to participate in the study, they can contact their PO.
The biannual platform days focus on international knowledge exchange on themes such as fishing capacity, vulnerable areas and data collection, discards, network innovation and evaluation of management measures. Parties from the German, Danish, Belgian and Dutch fishing industry as well as scientific institutes are present at these days. If desired, NGOs and government agencies from these member states can be involved in this knowledge exchange. The project is organized by the Nederlandse Vissersbond and Wageningen Marine Research (WMR) and is financed by the European Maritime and Fisheries Fund.
Information links (in Dutch)
- IRC Shrimp buigt zich over internationaal beheer garnalenvisserij (21 oktober 2021)
- Interessante IRC Shrimp bijeenkomsten over innovaties garnalenvisserij (18 februari 2021)
- Dagtrips discardonderzoek garnalenvisserij (22 oktober 2020)
- IRC Shrimp-bijeenkomst over innovatie (7 mei 2020)
- Eerste IRC Shrimp bijeenkomst in Lauwersoog (4 juli 2019)